PHIA Resources & Education
The OIPC produces a quarterly Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) Newsletter. This newsletter allows the OIPC to communicate to all custodians about their obligations under the Act and any reports we have issued.
The OIPC also delivers training sessions to any custodian or custodian group upon request. Below are some of the presentations delivered thus far, but new presentations can be developed and tailored to any relevant topic.
These presentations were prepared to help public bodies comply with the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 2015 (“ATIPPA, 2015”) and the Personal Health Information Act (“PHIA”). These presentations are administrative tools intended to assist in understanding the ATIPPA, 2015 and PHIA. They are not intended to be relied on as legal advice and cannot be relied on as such. For the exact wording and interpretation of the ATIPPA, 2015 and PHIA please read the legislation in its entirety. These documents are not binding on the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Newfoundland and Labrador
To arrange a training session please contact us at 1-877-729-6309 or 1-709-729-6309, fax 1-709-729-6500 or email email@example.com.
- ATIPPA, 2015 and PHIA Considerations – Health Care Bodies PDF document opens in new window (277 KB)
- Use of Personal Health Information for Research Purposes PDF document opens in new window (335 KB)
- Legislative Overview - Privacy Provisions PDF document opens in new window (304 KB)
- OIPC Workshop 2017 PDF document opens in new window (220 KB)
- PHIA: The Personal Health Information Act PDF document opens in new window (287 KB)
If you wish to access your personal health information, or if you have an inquiry about how your personal health information is being collected, used or disclosed, you may contact your health care provider. For more information about PHIA, visit the PHIA web page of the Department of Health and Community Services at http://www.health.gov.nl.ca/health/PHIA/ opens in new window .